Thursday 10 December 2009

How well do you remember the gloriously shitty dance music of the 1990s?

No cheating mind! Post your answers in the comments...

1. Which of the following WASN'T a hit single for 2 Unlimited?

a) 'Get Ready for This'
b) 'Maximum Overdrive'
c) 'The Real Thing'
d) 'Move Your Body'
e) 'Workaholic'

2. Which of the following reached no. 1 in the UK singles chart?

a) 'Exterminate' by Snap!
b) 'What is Love?' by Haddaway
c) 'Don't Give Me Your Life' by Alex Party
d) 'Last Train to Transcentral' by The KLF
e) 'Encore Une Fois' by Sash!

3. Reel 2 Real often featured which artist on vocals?

a) DJ Miko
b) Bobo
c) MC Solar
d) The Mad Stuntman
e) General Levy

4. Complete the line from the hugely irritating Gala single 'Freed From Desire'. 'My love has got no money...'

a) 'He's got his tumbleweed'
b) 'He's got his strong beliefs'
c) 'He's got his temid beats'
d) 'He's got his cannabis leaves'
e) 'He's got Ancient Greece'

5. The Shamen's keyboardist and MC was known as...

a) Mr. Phorever
b) Mr. Goode
c) Mr. C
d) Mr. D
e) Mr. E

6. 'For so many years I've wondered who you are/How could a person like you bring me joy?/Under the pale moon/Where I see a lot of stars' - lyrics from which Ace of Base song?

a) 'All That She Wants'
b) 'Happy Nation'
c) 'Always Have, Always Will'
d) 'Love is a Flower'
e) 'The Sign'

7. Sub Sub, who had a top ten hit in 1993 with 'Ain't No Love (Ain't No Use)', are now better known as which indie band?

a) Kasabian
b) Elbow
c) Snow Patrol
d) Doves
e) Coldplay

8. Which dance act have toured with the Backstreet Boys, Jocelyn Brown and the Spice Girls?

a) Cappella
b) The Tamperer
c) (MC Sar &) The Real McCoy
d) Strike
e) Grace

9. The video for which song is set entirely in a photo booth, which is visited by, among others, a scantily-clad woman wearing sunglasses and sporting a gigantic, bright blue haircut?

a) 'Push the Feeling On' by The Nightcrawlers
b) 'The Bomb!' by The Bucketheads
c) 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield
d) 'Passion' by Gat Decor
e) 'Stayin' Alive' by N-Trance

10. Which of the following did Clock NOT record a cover of?

a) 'Axel F'
b) 'U Sexy Thing'
c) 'West End Girls'
d) 'Whoomph! (There It Is)'
e) 'Oh What A Night'

11. Which dance act's 1994 album 'Evolver' featured a baby on the sleeve, dressed entirely in white and playing with a synthesiser?

a) Utah Saints
b) The Grid
c) Underworld
d) The Prodigy
e) Orbital

12. Since his house project Happy Clappers disbanded, Martin Knotts has relocated to Newcastle upon Tyne where he is a semi-professional what?

a) Golfer
b) Jazz musician
c) Locksmith
d) Chef
e) Used car salesman

13. Which band recorded 'Football Is Our Religion', the unofficial song for the 2008 UEFA European Football Championship, which includes the wonderful couplet 'Our team, they've got class/Real geniuses on the grass'?

a) Eurogroove
b) Gloworm
c) 2wo Third3
d) JX
e) Rednex

14. The video for which song features the female vocalist singing between six candles?

a) 'Stamp!' by Healey and Amos
b) 'Dreamer' by Livin' Joy
c) 'Let Me Be Your Fantasy' by Baby D
d) 'Set You Free' by N-Trance
e) 'One and One' by Robert Miles/Maria Nayler

15. One of the male members of which group courted controversy in the 90s when it was revealed that he had previously been in a white power band?

a) Ace of Base
b) B.B.E.
c) Wildchild
d) Snap!
e) The Outhere Brothers

16. One of Simon Cowell's creations, which boy band, originally consisting entirely of nine year olds, had hits with 'Casanova', 'Some Girls' and the rather risque 'Hoochie Booty'?

a) Kriss Kross
b) MN8
c) Damage
d) 911
e) Ultimate KAOS

17. Which of the following was NOT a single release by Scatman John?

a) Song of Scatland
b) Scat Paradise
c) Scatmambo
d) The Chickadee Song
e) They are all Scatman John singles

18. 'Ey ey ba day ba wadladie day,
Ay um ba day,
Ba day ba wadladie day,
Ey ey ba day ba wadladie day,
Ay um ba da- ay um ba da-da-da-da wadladie day...'
What's the next word in this inspired slice of lyricism from SL2's 'On A Ragga Tip'?

a) 'Ay!'
b) 'One!'
c) 'Hey!'
d) 'Ham!'
e) 'Structuralism!'

19. Smart-E's had a hit in the early 90s with a rave track that sampled which children's TV show?

a) The Muppets
b) Sesame Street
c) Poddington Peas
d) Bucky O'Hare
e) Fun House

20. Who recorded 'Right in the Night'?

a) Jam and Spoon
b) The Original
c) Mozaic
d) Mory Kante
e) Black Box

2 comments:

A said...

Holy hell...these are hard. I was only wee although I reckon I know a few of them.

1) LOL Is it sad/bad that I remember Eiffel 65 doing 'Move Your Body'? *looks shame faced* So obviously that one isn't a 2 unlimited song

2) I remember that Sash song doing well but also that KLF song rings a bell. I'll just say Sash though I dunno

3)I have nooooo idea :/

4)I would love it if it was d) but if I recall it is in fact b)

5) Again i can only shrug my shoulders and hazard a guess at d)

6)Ugh it's between b) and e)........ I'll plump hesitantly for e)

7) Doves (helps that I bum the Doves) (also random factoid...Elbow were originally a chill funk group called Soft if anyone cares)

8)Ermmmm.....I'm guessing again at b)

9)I'm pretty sure it's not N-Trance cos that was quite a pimpy vid as i recall... I don't think it's Whigfield either. Just for their pervy sounding name i'll go for a)

10) All i know is they did that cover of 'oh what a night'. I'm guessing again.... c)

11) Well I'm ruling out d) and e) striaght away. But ummm..... a) I am saying.

12) Ooo I know this one. I read it somewhere. He's a chef isn't he?

13) Holy shit it sounds awful. But i don't know.... guessing b)

14)ROFL!!! i remember this vid is was on aaallllll the time. It's c)

15) Well it's not the Outhere Brothers....they were black weren't they? I really don't know this one although I feel i should

16) Well it's not 911 or Damage cos I loved them. I'm pretty sure i remember it being e)

17) LOL 'beee bada bada bum bada da bada num' XD Because it's an odd choice i am going to say e)

18) Has to be e) ftw!!

19)Tis b)

20) I have no idea. Erm d)?

I reckon I've done poo. But I use my age as an excuse ;)

screenager said...

11/20.

Not bad, not bad.

Not posting the answers as yet. I'll send you them via e-mail on Facebook!