Monday 20 April 2009

Potentially unwitting dalliances with the North Eastern press. Or something.

In a curious turn of events, it seems there is the possibility that the good folk at The Sunday Sun have been paying attention to my Twitter account. Well, a slim possibility at least.

For those blissfully unaware of the intricacies of the web's finest new social networking utility, let me explain the concept of 'music Monday'. Basically, on a Monday, people all across the globe post links to songs on their Twitter accounts in an attempt to promote, you guessed it, music. These posts contain the 'hashtag' #musicmonday so that users can easily search and find everyone's recommendations. So, without actually 'following' my Twitter account, if I use the hashtag, you will be able to see my post.

Now then. Today, I posted five tweets containing '#musicmonday', the last of which, at about 6.30pm, was a Youtube link to local band (and personal mates, oh yes, swanning with the stars and that!) July Rising's performance of their song 'Where's R2?' at The Dog and Parrot from a couple of years ago. I then left the house to head for the quiz at The Cumberland Arms. When I returned, a few hours later, July Rising had noted on their Twitter account that they were The Sunday Sun's online 'Video of the Week', with this clip, and had no explanation for it. I also had a message from them, suggesting that perhaps I was the source.

Of course, I wish I could take the credit, I really do. Part of me likes to think that someone from the Sunday Sun website was desperately trawling through the #musicmonday lists on Twitter, searching for something to use, and happened upon my recommendation. Still, the reality is that the page claims to have been written on 'April 19th', which, obviously, was yesterday. So it does seem likely that this is all a rather bizarre coincidence. But it would also be worthwhile noting that recently, The Journal, another North Eastern newspaper, run by the same bods as the Sunday Sun, started 'following' me on Twitter for no apparent reason. I reciprocated, so now whoever accesses this particular account will automatically see my updates on their news feed anyway.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

And here, for your viewing pleasure, is the performance in question.

Oh, and here's the Video of the Week link, FYI.

No comments: